Tuesday, June 3, 2008

this fall.




Last night at 11:00 pm (midnight idaho time) I registered for classes! For some reason I LOVVVEEEE to register for classes. Even though you can look at your class schedule online- I make a paper version every time I sign up for classes, or even think about signing up for classes. So, true to form, the other day I mapped out my schedule (and Nic's also... is that controlling?) and because I have a whopping 105 credits I could register super early and got into every class I wanted! I am REALLY excited about school this semester- it seems to get better and better every semester as I get closer to being done-which is one more semester after this fall... whenever I can go back after having the baby. I am taking really fun classes but still 19 credits and ending school 3 weeks before I'm due will be a challenge.
Here is my exciting fall semester- try to contain your enthusiasm.

{Design and Color}
an entry level art class. i am doing a custom cluster (split minor) in art, specifically graphic design and photography.

{Case Studies}
this is my senior capstone class for communication. I think it goes along with BYU-I's obsession (thank you President Clark) with Harvard. I had a class called group dynamics last year that also focused a lot on case studies. It was interesting but there were FAR too many Harvard references for our little Idaho-school brains. It was constantly like: "this is how they do it at Harvard- get our your name tags" Seriously... I don't go to Harvard, I got in, but I picked BYU-I for a reason. This class is comm 499- that is as close to graduation as you can get!!

{Building Eternal Marriage}
I needed one more religion credit (now I am going over by one... but thats ok) it will be fun- Nic and I are taking it together.

{Intro to graphic design}
I should probably take a design class since thats what I do everyday :) I am just hoping I haven't been doing everything wrong thus far. Its just been guess work mostly. Nic and I are taking this together too.

{Advanced visual media}
I did take one class, in 2004, that got me into design- but it was a comm class, not an art class, so it wasn't very in depth. But, thats where I learned the basics and discovered how infinitely better Macs were. This is the next level of the class, taught by Sister Esplin, one of my favorite teachers, and I am really excited to take another class from her.

{photography 1}
Another class with my favorite human :) yes, thats THREE classes with Nic. He can't register till the 15th so I'm really hoping these classes will be open for him too. Its a good thing we are taking this class together because the only time that would fit in our schedules was to take it wed and thurs nights from 6-9. crappy, I know, but I'll do anything to get the most classes done this semester so I have less to do after the baby.
one last class....

{Public speaking}
Yes, i should have taken this 102 class as a freshman, sophomore, junior or even the first year I was a senior- but, after taking it at 7:45 AM last fall, and dropping it, i've got to take it now. I am sure I will be like 5 years older, and much more pregnant, than anyone else in my class. Except maybe the teacher... then again... maybe i am older than her too.

I will practically be living in the Spori building. Good thing it is nice in there. I think I only have 2 classes outside its walls.
Anyway... I am really excited. I am always excited about school before it starts. I am not nearly as excited halfway through the semester but at least I am positive going into it. I was just going to brag about going a whole post without talking about the baby, but then i looked up and word "baby" was right there. apparently I didn't do that well. sorry folks.

11 comments:

Ashley Wray said...

Oh, I loved Group Dynamics (did you take it from Bergstrom?) and I love Sister Esplin. I was definetly not talented in the graphic design side of Communications, but I loved her! So excited for you that your almost done, seriously, it's the greatest thing to be done and just be home with your babies! It makes me a little nostalgic hearing you talk about the Spori building, such good times! Are you an advertising emphasis?

the binghams. said...

yeah.. and yes, i took group from berg. she is one crazy lady but i loved grading myself and all the down time :) I know.. i am SO excited to get done!! <3

Hilary said...

I just smelled the Spori building. Memories. You should go get my old projects for me from Bro. Franson's office. Thanks :)

So I have one little piece of advice, and I know it's too late now which screws up the meticulous schedule planning (i think it's fun too and i drew AJ a map too!) but k, you already know how to design stuff. I would suggest ditching intro to design, talking to one of the teachers personally about what you do all day, and then taking a more advanced class. They're pretty cool. That intro class maaaay bore you.

OH and Harvard? DANG.

the binghams. said...

haha hilary... but what if i DON'T really know how to design :)

but i'll get you your projects.

Hilary said...

NO don't get my stuff. I was just kidding. Some day I'll get them but um, you're far away. Hehe. You're so nice.

Julie K said...

I am so excited for you. I used to do the same thing--we are two visual girls, me and u. Visually Stunning, I mean. Har. (I was directing that Har at myself.)

How are your twins?

the binghams. said...

clarification on my sisters comment:
"how are the twins"
-- I THINK we are having twins, but who knows, maybe I just like to eat and want to be like my visually stunning sister who has a boy/girl set. But, since I am not going to the dr till july 8th, i won't know if thats true for a long time.
I just didn't want everyone to think we were having twins when that has yet to be discovered. Julie is just bitter that my mom and dad got to tell EVERYONE she was having twins and she didn't, which I agree, was super lame. So now she wants to make the announcement before we do. just kidding Jule. I love you!

Jaquilyn Shumate said...

That is something I would do. [make a paper version of my schedule.] Especially if i was avoiding cleaning or something. haha.

The Strouds said...

Glad to know I'm not the only OCD one about planning classes. It was by far my most favorite thing about school! I made whole Excel Spreadsheets for me and Chris (I planned his classes ever since we got married and credit myself with part of his graduation, especially since I did at least a third of his homework!)

Megan said...

You can talk about your baby all day long...I am good with that! lol...I totally map out my classes too...and even though I have been out of school for a couple years now, I too map out Kenny's classes. I don't think of it as controlling but as cooperative planning for our busy lives. If I get time off I want to know he isn't in class. Love the spori!

Maddy Lucas said...

Hey Kirsten, just found your blog! it's quite entertaining. I always get excited about registering for classes too, of course my schedule almost never stays the same when I start.