Saturday, July 12, 2008

date night



Nic and I take turns every week planning date our Friday night date. Its a fun way to surprise each other and come up with new things to do. For the first month or so we were here in California, though we took turns "planning" date night consisted on Applebees and then 4-5 episodes of Lost. Maybe this went on for 2 months. I don't know, we watched a lot of lost and ate a lot of tasty applebees. But lately we've gotten a bit more creative (especially since we are all caught up with Lost now and have to wait till feb. to watch it again) a few weeks ago i planned the date and we went to applebees (old habits die hard) and then we made smores with our hibachi on our balcony. They tasted a little bit like lighter fluid but it was fun. Last night Nic was in charge and might I just say... I love this man. He is so great. He came home from work early (8:00 which is about an hour and half earlier than normal) and we went to the 10 showing of Hancock. It was very entertaining. Probably not the most well written film but it def. kept you interested. For dinner I had a sprite and popcorn and Nic had a Mr. Pibb and junior mints. $16 worth of nutrition. Then we came home and went camping! In our living room!
our lovely office conveniently located in between the dining room (never used) and the tv

We still haven't used the tent I got Nic for Father's day to go real camping but last night we finally put it to use! We cleared away the furniture (and all the debris left under the coffee table, i am the worst housewife) and began to set up the tent. It was HUGE. much bigger than I thought. We'll be able to fit all of our kids in some day. The set up was a bit tedious but we had fun. We made a bed with the couch cushions and it was pretty cozy. Then we set up little miss sunshine on our portable dvd player (while laying down you couldn't see either the whole tv or the whole computer so we improvised!
i think we only got 30 minutes into it and were both slipping into sleep so we turned it off. At around 8 am we woke up and i ached all over. I asked if we could move our campsite and Nic agreed so we drug the pillows and blankets back to our bed. It was such a fun night. dates are so much more fun now that we don't have to say goodbye at the end, just goodnight.

7 comments:

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i love this idea, both the camping and the switching off and on of who plans date night. i'm probably going to steal that.

Hilary said...

okay.. i was going to say exactly what errin just said so...

ditto.

Julie K said...

Well, I wasn't going to say exactly what Errin said, but now I feel peer pressured into saying that I was.
Who is cuter than patooter? You are! I think indoor camping is much gentler on the tent. And no dirt. Ideal. Too bad you couldn't fit your actual bed in your tent, because I bet that would be like the most comfortable camping experience ever.

Jaquilyn Shumate said...

Ah that's so cute! Great idea. My aunt told me that if I ever thought Trav was having a bad day, to set up the living room with a campsite to make him smile. Haven't done it yet, but maybe someday! ;)
Little Miss Sunshine was a fantastic movie. She reminds me a little of myself when I was little.. [long hair, glasses, teeth]. And yes you are absolutely right, dates are SO much better now that we're married. I hate goodbyes.

Jaquilyn Shumate said...

In response to Julies comment.... What if you put the tent ON the bed?!?!?! That would be amazing. Unless ofcourse the tent is bigger than the bed. It would be terrible to roll of the bed and be caught in the tent still.

Ashley Wray said...

What a fun idea! Glad you got a fun date night! I think I would be too tempted to go and climb in my comfy bed, so way to go for sticking out the night in the tent!

We are David, Shauna, Clark and Dali said...

love the tent!! YOu guys get back to rexburg soon!!! I'm exited. what day?