Wednesday, March 24, 2010

copeland



this weekend our friends courtney and talmage invited us to go to SLC with them to see copeland's farewell show. we said no on friday but then changed our minds to YES on saturday at 12:30 and we left at 1:15 and drove straight to the venue for 6:30 doors. Janell and Dave were so kind to watch daphne for about 28 hours so we could go kid-free. we're go glad we went.



we don't listen to copeland much anymore.. but, we fell in love to copeland.

we had been dating on and off for a few weeks when we went to see them in boise in july 2004. we've been together ever since.
we listened to copeland a lot while we were dating and it always reminds me of that sweet, sappy, carefree and hopelessly romantic time in our lives.

there was 3 bands before them... they were all pretty OK.
but copeland was incredible.
they played all the good ones and even though our backs and feet and EARS were aching, it was completely perfect.


we were lingering at the merch table after, hoping to catch a minute with aaron (vocals/guitar/piano) and we were so happy that we got to.
nic told him that we were married because of him and now we had a baby so basically, he started our family. (it was really cute, i wanted to cry basically all night, but especially then) we told him how we saw them 6 years earlier in boise and we've been together ever since.


we took a picture with him and i'm glad we got to capture (through a crappy iphone picture) that happy memory.

to some people, this story might seem really stupid. but, we're really emotionally attached to copeland. we needed to go to that show to have some closure- again... i realize that if music isn't important to you- i'm sounding like a crazy person right now. we finished the weekend with the cheesecake factory and a stay in the ramada inn murray (classy!) and it was just the best.
here is brightest for your enjoyment.




3 comments:

Emily Kate said...

It's funny because you introduced me to Copeland before Jacob left on his mission and "Brightest" became our song (after catching fireflies and lying on the grass looking at the stars on a midwestern night, ahh young love.) I always feel transported back to our early days when I hear it, even though I don't listen to Copeland much anymore either. So I get it. Glad you got to see them again!

Ashley said...

i love this story. i love that music is important to you guys.

ali c. said...

:) I'm so glad you guys decided to go. Copeland is just one of those bands that will always be in my heart forever and ever and ever and.... There are so many songs of theirs that define the past 7 years of my life - heartbreak, new love, new experiences...
"Brightest" is my all time favorite. I'm glad you got to meet Aaron. I wanted to stick around after our show but was pretty sure that I would start bawling like a crazy woman if I could even utter "hi." (I cried during "California" and then in the encore for "Brightest" and "You have my attention" and then was crying walking out of the venue and back to the car. Blake must have thought that I'm clinically insane.) Ah, Copeland.

Only a few more weeks until Denver, Kirsten!!! AAAAH! Awesome!