Wednesday, March 10, 2010

best cocolate chip cookies (seriously)

last night we had a bake-off after lost. it was a bake-off between me and... me. (nic made fun of me for having a bake-off against myself. perhaps i have some control issues? :) I read on say yes to hoboken about 2 great chocolate chip cookie recipes and decided LOST night at the bingham house was the perfect setting for a chocolate chip cookie throw down. (i wish bobby flay would have showed up) the winner was clear... and wow.. these cookies were awesome. i have some more in the oven right now. breakfast anyone?

america's test kitchen ultimate chocolate chip cookies ---------------------------------------
preheat oven to 375

combine 1 3/4 c. flour with 1/2 t. baking soda


in a saute pan melt 10 T. butter (unsalted) stir for 3-4 minutes until the butter is light brown- not burned. then, stir in an additional 4 T. to the hot butter.

cream together:
butter (let it cool for a bit so it doesn't scramble the eggs)
1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar

1 t. salt
2 t. vanilla
1 egg

1 egg yolk
then, combine with flour mixture.
lastly, stir in 1 1/4 c. chocolate chips (we prefer milk chocolate in this house)

line cookie sheet with parchment paper bake cookies 10-14 minutes
[the steps in the original recipe are a bit more complicated than this... i'm just kind of a lazy baker, but- it worked- and this is not turning into a cooking blog, i promise. though i love a good cooking blog]

5 comments:

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i ended up basically making this exact cookie last night, except i can't stick to recipes to save my life, so we ended up with all kinds of crazy stuff in them. i think the thing that ends up making the real difference is 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, rather than 2 eggs. also, i didn't check, but is this the browned butter recipe? that makes a lot of sense to me in adding to deliciousness. (i used to only do semi-sweet chocolate chips, but now i have fully converted to milk chocolate. what was i thinking??)

Ande said...

Best. Night. Of. My. Life.

Not really. But close.

the binghams. said...

yes Errin it's the brown butter... i can't believe what a difference it makes. so nutty tasting!

and yes.. milk is the way to go!

janellybelle said...

can't wait to make the fabulous cookies! they sound so yummmmmy! I like the idea of a bake off between me and me. I'd win for sure! It's no fun to lose. loved your fun descriptive day, you really outdid yourself!

nikkiricks said...

I made these two weeks ago. I downed them.