Saturday, February 21, 2009




it's a sunny Saturday and I am longing for window shopping without windows, tamales, crafts i really don't need to buy, vegetables i probably should and delicious treats. Last year my brother and sister in law (i really HATE having to add "in law" because i love my sister in laws and wish i didn't have to address them so formally. But, at at the same time, i don't want it to sound like my brother married my sister, that would be weird and we probably wouldn't be going anywhere together if that was the case) took Nic and I {and daphne in the womb} to the farmer's market in provo. We fell in love. So, I've been scheming up a way to bring a farmer's market to our little town of Rexburg, Idaho. I would LOVE to talk the city into letting us do it in Porter Park- under the huge trees. It is centrally located, all the students can just walk there and it is nice and cool, even on a hot summer day because of all the trees. Some nights {early mornings} after I put Daphne back to sleep I just can't stop thinking about the market! I really want to make it a reality this summer- I think it would be perfect for this community- to link BYU-I with the city. Plus, it seems like all of our friends are the starving artist types and i think this would be a really fun way to sell our stuff. This is a list of some things I would like to see at the Porter Park Market- if you would like to participate, make a comment and tell us what you would like to do. If your craft/talent/desire to sell isn't on the list- who cares! Just comment- I want to see if people would really be interested in doing this before we go to the city.

+prepared food {food that people could buy and eat on the spot}
some ideas for that: tamales! (i found a picture of the actual tamale couple at the provo market- i was pretty excited!)
fresh baked goods
{cookies, bars, ECT}
cupcakes (cocoa bean, i would LOVE for you to have a booth!)

homemade popsicles/ icecream

kettle corn
fresh, cleaned fruit
homemade candy
fresh baked bread
shaved ice
strawberry lemonade (serious money maker when its hot out!)


+fresh produce
i don't know much about what is in season when but some ideas-
strawberries, raspberries ect any fruit that can grow here :)
cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes

herbs
potted flowers/herb gardens
potatoes (we are idaho, of course)

+art
anything you create-
fine art photography
ceramics

print making
paintings

drawings

clothing
graphic design
anything... (more than anything I want this to be a place for artists- i hope we have tons)


+live music
something acoustic for logistics and general likability.

+crafts
baby stuff {bows, slings, blankets ect}
handmade jewelry

purses/pillows/ sewn goods
quilts/blankets
home decor stuff
fabric


And if you have other ideas- please please let me know. I am dead serious about this- I want to get it going REALLY bad and it will be so much more fun if it is our friends all together hanging out selling stuff :)
If you are from around here and you know of people who wouldn't be reading our blog but would be interested in participating, spread the word!

8 comments:

Hilary said...

I think that's an amazing idea! The first thing I noticed, is you probably need a line on the flier that says "May-September" or something. The one here in Logan gets confusing because of that.

My friend is trying to start a Cache Valley Etsy team, and i bet if you found Rexburg Etsy people (as a team or not) they would be down.

Probably have to talk to the city first and get the details sorted out. Then I'd go crazy telling everyone about it. Facebook, campus, local businesses, etc.

Makes me wanna go back to Rexburg!
Can I come and paint faces and make balloon animals? I secretly wanna be a clown.

Emily Kate said...

Aw porter park. I wish we still lived there because I would love to be part of this. It sounds like such a fantastic idea. I can't believe Rexburg doesn't have a farmers market! The farmers markets here in NY are amazing, kind of put the cute little Provo one to shame (sorry provo, love you!)

Cody,Kendra,Kendall,Osker said...

I seriously think that would be amazing. Porter park is perfect for things like that I don't know why someone hasn't thought of it sooner. I would love to participate, cute baby stuff, also I know my sister in law is always looking for famers markets to sell her cute jewelry, and my brother travels everywhere to sell handmade wood pieces(pens, vases, ect..) Also I know cody loves to play acoustic shows...So I know a few people who would probably love to be involved!

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

kirsten--this is a freaking AHMAZING idea. i don't know rexburg well (ok, at all...) but if it doesn't have a farmer's market, it should. it brings the greatest sense of community, and you always feel so good when you leave. good luck, and let me know if i can help from afar--i don't know how, but i would love to. i wish i could take you to my farmer's market EVERY week!

Lindsay said...

Count me in! I'm not particularly talented in any of those areas (food, music, art) but I'd LOVE to help organize something that brought all of that together! i know that there are already annual music in the park events at Porter Park. I remember hearing Preston Pugmire & his dad playing at it, among other local folks.

Maddy Lucas said...

Seth and I would love to help, I do think it's about time we did something like this. However, I don't have anything to sell! I can help organize it though, or anything like that, just let me know what you need me to do.

Vegor said...

This is a really good idea. I looked up the info for the person who runs the Provo Farmer's Market....maybe you could contact him for advise:

Contact Information

Tom Parker
801-377-1859

Mailing Address:

53 South 700 West
Provo, UT 84601

Unknown said...

You don't know me and I don't know you... I came across your blog from someone else who has an etsy shop that I was looking at. OK it's a little confusing, but what it comes down to is I live in Rexburg and I LOVE your idea. My dad owns a kettle corn/carmel corn/white chedder corn business in WA that would totally do it down here. I do graphic work for the REX who has a Subzero ice cream that would definitely get a booth. And I sell jewelry on etsy, so I might, too. Well, I just had to comment about your fabulous idea. I hope it happens!