Sunday, December 14, 2008

this will in no way talk about Daphne.

except the title. she is not here yet... i wish she was. now i am done.


last night the Alexanders came over for dinner, laundry, dessert and love actually. I've always wanted to see that movie and they had rented it from clean flicks and brought it over... i LOVED it. wow. so much. what made it even more enjoyable was the fact that I made a new treat last night that I've never made before and now I am obsessed with. Caramel popcorn. My dad made this a lot while we were growing up so I guess I have found memories. I had a good caramel recipe and 2 bags of buttery popcorn so i got to work. it was easy and delicious.

caramel {from Sister Esplin's caramel pretzel logs which she makes for her class every semester}
this is a half batch but it was PLENTY for 2 bags of popcorn:

1 cube butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 light corn syrup
a little bit of vanilla (does anyone actually measure vanilla?)


stir constantly over med/low heat. i don't know how long nic and i stirred- maybe about 10 minutes. enough time for both bags to pop and some chatting in between. (chatting is required)


pour over popcorn while stirring. enjoy.

in other news...
there is about 4 inches of snow on the ground and this may mean that it will be on the streets at least till April- there comes a point in Rexburg (and its usually earlier than now so I should be grateful) where once it snows, it will never ever melt until winter is replaced with summer (spring does not exsist) which i must admit, is kind of a downer. (I LOVE COLORADO!)

we are pretty much done with the nursery. we have a few more things to hang up on the walls but we made a little mini art gallery of our work from this semester on one of her walls and i really love it. i'll have to post pictures once it's complete. (I don't think this counts as talking about Daphne...)

I try to fake my sister out by sending her texts saying: she's beautiful! but it hasn't worked.... i wish it would, that would be funny. yesterday she just called me a dork and then kept on talking.

maybe if i post about this on our blog i'll be more motivated to remedy the situation:
about 2.5 months ago... maybe 3 months ago, nic's family came up for Sunday dinner at our house instead of us going down to IF at their house. I made lasagna and then nic and i ate some leftovers the next day for lunch... or dinner.. who can remember, it was months ago! then, i put the rest in the fridge (in the same pan it baked in..) and there it remains. today. probably over 75 days later. it is our only 9x13 pan and there it is... with moldy lasagna in one corner (there is very little left in the pan) and for some reason, i can't bring myself to throw it away. i think once i do the baby can come (opps... i did it) so maybe i'll face my fears and do it today.

school is over! its kind of crazy not having homework to do today... or tomorrow... or EVER! Well, nic will be back in school at the end of April, and I'll be back in September but a 4 month break sounds heavenly. now we just have evapaul to concentrate on. it's going to be fun!

I really can't think of any other news. I've been grasping at straws for awhile now (hence the lasagna story) i think my mind is a bit preoccupied by she is shall not be named.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey I need your address again, I deleted the text with it. You can text it or e-mail it sarah.pedersen@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Emily Kate said...

Oh my gosh, the modly lasagna. I love it. I love you!

Ashley Wray said...

I think I've got a moldy lasagna in my frigde somewhere too, just the other day I throw out something that was unrecognizable, it had been in there way to long!
Talk about "she who shall not be named" all you want! I love hearing about it! These last few weeks are LONG, but all worth in the end!

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Ha! You also have a fear of mold. Just like me.

Feel free to have that baby anytime, though.




legati

Maddy Lucas said...

man, seth is obsessed with making caramel popcorn lately! He doesn't use a recipe or anything, so we'll have to try this one.

Dude, that's nasty about the lasagna...BUT I think seth and I have had worse. You know when you find something in your fridge that you can't even recognize? No? Oh, well it's gross.

We are David, Shauna, Clark and Dali said...

the popcorn was sooso good! I want some right now...that or shari's.

JohnandMyrica said...

The lasagna thing made me laugh so hard... early on when I was pregnant with Aiden I made spaghetti and we didn't eat it all so there was a bunch of noodles left in the bottom of my big, expensive pan. Somehow that pan got covered with other dirty dishes that I was putting off doing and some weeks or months later when we looked in there the entire pan (which is like a foot tall... big pan) is full of white fluffy mold... think white cotton candy but nasty not good. So instead of cleaning it out, I ordered John to put it out on the porch because I didn't want to clean it. From then on, I held my breath when walking past it cause I thought I was going to get some mold disease. We eventually moved it further back on the porch so it was not visible and, well, out of sight, out of mind. When we moved out in April, that pan was still there (at least 9 months later!) so we threw the pan out. I still miss that pan, but nothing was worth cleaning that nasty mold out!! Sorry, long story! By the way... SO excited for Daphne to get here and we love the updates! The last few weeks are so exciting and SOOO long!