Thursday, February 4, 2010

my diet struggles all out in the open.

after nine months of packing on the pounds (and growing a human- little daphne) i gained 28 pounds. while tall girls can gain 28 pounds during pregnancy and look great a couple months later. short girls, cannot. Ok maybe some can... THIS SHORT GIRL CANNOT.
It took me another 9 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. But, my weight-loss journey is far from done.
So far through my struggles to loose weight, I've pretty much found things that don't work for me.
my latest.. a 53 hour juice cleanse. i did loose a few pounds (3) but i was kind of thinking the scale would be a bit more kind to me, taking into account all the sacrifices I've made in the past 53 hours!

But, there is a cooking blog i love. ROOKIE COOKIE
though there is isn't a WHOLE lot that is low fat/calories... everything i've tried is SUPER yummy. Plus, I love Rookie. She is such a good writer and she uses a few very mild swears which this girl finds amusing (maybe it's rexburg living?)
A few weeks ago she shared Alton Brown's (from the food network. I LOVE the food network, cannot stand Alton) "diet"
What I like about it, it's not a real diet, just some rules to live by.


Daily
-fruits
-whole grains
-leafy greens
-nuts
-carrots
-green tea

3 times a week
-oily fish
-yogurt
-broccoli
-sweet potato
-avocado

Once a week
-red meat
-pasta
-dessert
-alcohol

Never
-fast food
-soda
-processed meals/frozen dinners
-canned soup
-"diet" anything

Eat breakfast everyday, no matter what.


There are somethings I won't do.. green tea, alcohol, avocados & fish (just don't like the last 2) but the rest of the list I feel like is really doable. I'm going to print the list for my fridge. I feel like if i eat what is on the list then I will have a really good healthy base for the day! (and it doesn't sound awful, i like those things)

Also... (and this is exciting!)
I'm training for a 1/2 marathon! Well, I start my running schedule on Monday. We bought a running stroller yesterday (though I know Rexburg is still icy right now) we have a treadmill in our apt. lounge gym for when i need it. I was inspired by my old roommate. She is doing it also (but the full marathon.. I'm so impressed!!!) and I've ALWAYS wanted to run a 1/2 marathon. Well, I want to do a whole too- maybe this fall. I ran a lot in high school. cross country for 2 years and I loved it. I had many days where I ran 12+ miles. even 15 once or twice... not that that does me much good now. I'm starting with a whopping ONE MILE! But, baby steps. lots and lots and lots of steps. And i'm not walking these steps people, I'm running them!

6 comments:

Steph said...

Good luck. There's no way in the world that I would ever be able to run a half marathon. Yuck! I hate running so bad!

Let me just say that I gained several more pounds than you when I was pregnant. Several. I was fortunate to lose it pretty quickly afterwards (breastfeeding helped a lot), but I've decided it's definitely time to start working out. I've been doing a Jillian Michaels DVD which kicks my butt, but rocks at the same time.

That diet sounds good and healthy! Let me know what you think about it in a few weeks.

Emily said...

Wow! That "diet" sounds great! I would feel better if I ate that all the time. Too bad I have a crazy life and cant regulate my eating habits from day to day. Maybe when I can be home everyday, then i will start.

What's wrong with Alton? He is so interesting.

Good luck with the running and dieting! Daphne will help if you push her around (in the stroller, of course!)

Kimberly said...

Who are you going to run with?

Ashley Wray said...

Thanks for sharing that awesome list. I have such a hard time with "diets." But this seems do-able for sure!
And a 1/2! Way to go! I'm planning on a few 10K's, we'll see. Anyways, good luck!

the binghams. said...

emily meik :)
i didn't want to call her out by name because her husband told me she was doing it and she was like: stop telling people! haha :)

you should fly up for it KIM! 301 girls REUNITE

Megan said...

That is totally awesome...I wish I was there to run with you and Emily! Good Luck girls!