Wednesday, December 2, 2009

tortilla soup a la kirsten


i made up a recipe!
a vegetarian recipe at that!
normally, i follow recipes- especially while baking. but, my tortilla soup has really been evolving this winter and it's one of my favorite things to make/eat so i make it often.
i thought i'd share. don't be scared by the list of ingredients- just use what you have on hand and it will all work out :)

ingredients:
1 box (or 3-4 cans) chicken or vegetable stock (veggie if you really want this vegetarian :)
1/2 med white/yellow onion
2 stalks of celery
1 red bell pepper
2 med yukon gold, red or regular IDAHO potatoes, chopped small
1 can black beans (drained, rinsed)
1 can white navy beans or pretty much any other kind of beans you like
1/2 can diced green chilies
3 large spoonfuls of your favorite salsa
1/2 small can hominy (in the hispanic food section)
1/2 can sweet corn
1/2 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (or regular, but if you've got to buy them- buy these)
1/2 packet of taco seasoning
olive oil


method:
in a large soup pot coat bottom of pan with olive oil.
add in diced onions, celery, red peppers and potatoes. (all same size) add salt to help the onions sweat.
cook over medium heat, stirring often till potatoes are softened (about 20 min)
add in stock and all other ingredients. i usually add the corn last so it doesn't get super soft.
taste to make sure you don't need more taco seasoning or s/p.

serves 4 (or lunch the next day, that's what we always do)

top with tortilla chips and cheese.
YuM!

chef's (haha) notes:
i have found a very easy way to make this- since most ingredients are 1/2 of the can, i put all the other halves into a ziplock bag (together) and freeze it. i even top the canned ingredients with the spoonfuls of salsa so if i don't have that on hand next time i make it, you won't have to worry.

this is so easy and tasty- hope you enjoy! (and post your additions!)

7 comments:

Ashley said...

hispanic food section!!!!

the binghams. said...

that's right, ashley food section.
also, while you are there- pick up some mexican coke. it's so much better than the stuff here.

Ceci and Steven said...

YES! I love you! I'm in NEED of EASY Good food. I will for sure try this. Steven will thank you! haha. I happen to have that mexican ingredient because my v.t. brought me a can trying to tie in "food storage" in the lesson and she thought it was a can of corn. haha. Sweet, I get to use it now! and ps. those new pics of Daph...Holy hannah, she's adorable! can't believe she's turning one that's Crazy!

Cody,Kendra,Kendall,Osker said...

yum! I'm excited to make this for cody!

Alli said...

Sournd delicious! I love the box you made Daphne. SOSOSO super cute.

[ps] sad you're out of the ward...

Alli said...

correction:
[sournd=sounds]

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Even if I never try this recipe (I just can't get into soup. too slurpy) know that I think you are a genious for creating it yourself. I have only made up one recipe in my entire life. I was 8 and it involved a stick of margarine, a cup of sugar and a cup of flour in mom's old metal mixing bowl. (Mix dough and store bowl on the floor of bedroom closet until mom finds it--one to two days) It was delish (just ask Mark!) but I was disheartened to realize that I had only come up with shortbread dough and not something completely original. But you know what? I still love shortbread. MMmmmm. Shortbread.