Saturday, April 24, 2010

bountiful baskets


this week was my first week doing bountiful baskets- a produce co-op and i'm OBSESSED! I'm about to go make myself a yummy lunch using my goods right now! if you live in utah, idaho,wyoming or az you should definitely do it! (by the way- i think that this the FIRST TIME i've ever spelled definitely right, i CANNOT spell that word. wow. little victory) for $15 we got:
1 stalk of celery

10 bananas

7 tomatoes

18 red potatoes (this IS idaho- and reds are my favorite)

a head of romaine
a head of spinach
13 apples
1 pineapple

6 oz of blackberries
1 bag of mini carrots
1 head of swiss chard
(any suggestions for this? I've never used it before and don't even know how to cook it or if you cook it :)
and finally, 1 cantaloupe

it filled up an entire laundry basket and i'll need to buy just a few items of produce at the store this week. plus, it was REALLY fun- i love community things like this. i am going to volunteer next week and i'm really excited. PS- if you live in the area they said they are in dire need of site directors. I thought about volunteering for that, but we'll be camping in the bus a lot very soon so i'm sure i'll be gone on some saturdays... but i wish i could do it, it looks so fun/rewarding. if you don't live locally look up a food co-op! i'm sure if SE idaho has it, pretty much everywhere does :)

*thanks to stephanie for telling me about this! i'm hooked :)

7 comments:

Rebecca and Chad Hansen. said...

Swiss chard is really good just steamed until it's soft with some balsamic vinegar and salt on it.

the binghams. said...

why thank you rebecca!

Steph said...

Isn't it awesome! I've gotten the Swiss chard a few times and it always went bad in my fridge before I figured out how to cook it. (I'll have to try out Rebecca's recipe, too). But I'm in love with Bountiful Baskets, too. I love the anticipation of finding out what we're going to get each week. And I even like the occasional slightly weird items that we get to sample that we never would have tried otherwise. I'm glad you like it. :)

Cody,Kendra,Kendall,Osker said...

Hey, I'm glad to hear you like it. We've been thinking about going down with Doug for a couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear it's awesome. Doug got a mexican one with 7 dozen tortias.

the binghams. said...

Yeah we saw Doug actually which was random (they were sold out in rexburg but had a spot in rigby so we had to go there) yeah the tortillias seem like a really good deal- or the bread!

Ashley said...

definitely is the hardest word out of all words to spell.

Rayna said...

I just did my first pick-up today and LOVE LOVE LOVED it! I am so excited! We got mangoes! And they are ripe and delicious!