Wednesday, August 12, 2009

D/bar in D/town

Oh my gosh. I have so much to tell you...
we had the best 2 weeks ever!

I will make a big denver post but I just had to throw this in now...
{unrelated... yes.. my hair is red. less red now than it is here. much less red then it was when Sarah made me a redhead. she warned me. i'm not sure. sometimes i love it, sometimes not so much.. i am not sure what color of hair i will have the next time i see you- which is weird for me because i've been pretty obsessed with keeping my natural color for the past 2 years. Well, now its gone and I'm not sure about it..}

we met Keegan Gerhard!!! ok, so i'm not a closet food network foodie- everyone knows that station is almost always on at our house during the day (i have a thing about silence while i work...) so, when our friends Blake and Ali suggested that we go to d bar while we were in denver, I was so excited. Keegan is the owner/executive chef but he is better known as the guy on food network challenge who hands out the giant $10K check. we tried and failed several times during our 13 days in denver to make it to d bar. it was always something- too full (nic, not me :) too far away, too late, closed ECT. When we left on tuesday for the airport I said it was pretty much the only thing that we wanted to do but didn't squeeze. So, we vowed to go next time and my dad drove us to the airport. Well, we called him to pick us up 15 minutes later after we were given the: "there is no hope for buddy passes today, try tomorrow" from the nice Frontier lady.

perfect! that meant we could take my parents to d bar! It was a beautiful night and my poor sweet parents never hit up the nightlife downtown :) actually, my mom rarely leaves a 1.5 mile radius of her house- she works from home and all her stores are about that far away. good for a lady who gets parinoid on the freeway. We got to (ok, we were forced to, they were having a private party inside) sit on the patio and it was lovely. I told my parents how i would have loved to have met Keegan but who knows if he is here plus there was like a super fancy party going on inside so i had little hope of a sighting. My dad is, let's just say, a bold man, and took my comment as kind of a challenge. He asked our server if we could meet the chef and I was a little embarassed but happy that he would do it, because i was too chicken. Well, we ate our fabulous desserts.

nic and i shared the cake and shake. delicious.


my mom and dad shared the peach and blackberry cobbler. (i hope the chef doesn't read our blog because my dad says my mom's is better) *i tried to find a picture but I guess they are the only ones crazy enough to not want cake and a shake on the same plate.

I loved the atmosphere and really enjoyed dessert. After our bill came out walked Keegan! I was pretty surprised. He was SO nice. He seemed very genuine and took the time to take us all inside (it was very crowded with the party and we were obviously in the way) because he said pictures don't come out well in the lighting on the patio. Nice guy. He even hunted down his wife (who was also is chef whites, gotta love a husband and wife team) just to show her daphne who he found quite adorable.


{oh, and only the first pic is ours, the others are from google, i would have loved to have taken some nice shots of the food but i was too busy...yum}

7 comments:

ali c. said...

Love that pic of you and Daphne with Keegan. :-)

Can't wait till we get to go to D Bar...

I crave the cake and shake....

Miss you guys...

Emily Kate said...

How cool! He sounds like a really nice guy. This restaurant is so my type of thing. Which is maybe why I became a fatty in NYC. Crap!

Rebecca and Chad Hansen. said...

I want to go to there.

Adrienne said...

And THAT is an awesome story. Funny, I'm sure Keegan is a stud and all, but I almost think the REAL star of the story is Uncle Mike. And I LOVE your parents!! Now that I'm an adult(ish), I realize how awesome Mike and Ann are. And they ARE. And MY mom is paranoid on the freeway too, and doesn't venture much beyond her standard 1.5 either. Hmmm...no wonder she adores Ann so much.:) Sisters, sisters...plus the food looked gorgeous. Very posh.

Alli said...

How exciting! That must have been so great! Congrats!

[from what I can tell from the picture, the red hair looks great!]

whitneyingram said...

Rad, rad, rad, rad. And rad. I am supremely jealous.

the binghams. said...

you're jealous of ME? i can't YOU are reading our blog :) so honored!