Thursday, July 16, 2009

boy or girl?


so i know this is partly my fault (or completely?) but daphne is often mistaken for a boy. i'm not too into pink- definitely not into bows, headbands, flowers ect and it doesn't help that daphne is pretty bald. I feel like i don't dress her like a boy but maybe not neseccarily like a girl either. I was going to take a picture of all the outfits daphne has been called a boy in but there is just too many (and not enough laundry done...) so I'll describe:

red and white striped shirt, jeans.
(ok.. funny story with this one. And I promise Missy, I was NOT offended, I just thought this was way funny.) Nic was in art seminar this semester so I went with him and one time I was out in the hallway with daphne and ran into Tyler, Missy (nic's cousin)'s husband. Here is how the conversation went (i'm paraphrasing but you get the point..):

T: hey, how are you?
ME: Great.. how are you?
T: good- what are you doing here?
ME: Nic is in art seminar...
T: so, how's he doing?
ME: he's great.
T: he's really getting big!
ME: (realizing tyler wasn't asking how nic was doing, he was asking how DAPHNE was doing) uhh.. yeah.. HE is (i didn't want to make him feel dumb so i just went along with it- i usually do :)

a brown onsie with pink, lime green and purple flower pants
(they sound ugly but i promise, they're cute!)
This old lady at enrichment said about daphne when she was wearing this:
"what a strong little boy"

this outfit:
lots of people called her a boy that day. at least like 6 people at the grocery store.

robot pj's (ok.. these are boys clothes, i'll admit it)
again, at least a few boy comments at the grocery store. i asked for it. i even called daphne, Sebastian once at the store (as a joke!)



{perhaps daph's first cheesy/forced smile for a camera}

another boy outfit- i guess i just can't resist and plus... i don't really care! I really just think its funny whenever it happens. i stand firm- babies can wear ANY color, its ok! I think she looks just adorable.

In other news- we had to lower daphne's crib because she pulled herself up to the bar and stood up the other day and freaked us out. i'm so glad nic happened to be looking at her (without her knowing) as she was doing it. sneaky little baby. I think she is finally teething (for the past 3 months anytime she is whiney i say she is teething) and she ate some very small bites of crackers last night without gagging and freaking out (she hates food)

11 comments:

Emily Kate said...

The sweet little girl I nanny for gets called a boy all the time when we're out and I don't get it. I think it's just because she doesn't wear a bow and her hair is kind of shaggy (but SO CUTE!) Who cares, she's freaking adorable, as is little Daphne. Can't wait to meet the little miss!

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

way to buck the stereotypical gender roles paradigm. i don't get how people would think she was a boy in the black and white checked shirt, though, since it has RUFFLES down the front of it!

the binghams. said...

i know! and she was wearing her little mary jane socks too. even cade thought she was a boy! :)

Steph said...

Eden used to get called a boy a lot, too. She still gets it sometimes. Sometimes it was understandable. I really like robin-egg blue and I think it looks great with her eyes, so I dress/dressed her in it all the time. But sometimes it was just plain ridiculous. Like I remember I was carrying Eden in a pink blanket and she might have even been wearing a dress and this guy thought she was a boy. Yeah, where did he get that? Oh, well. I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Daphne is cute whether looking like a boy or a girl. ;)

Missy said...

Ha ha. This made me laugh so hard. I asked Tyler if he knew what you guys had, a boy or girl and he said girl, so I'm not sure what he was thinking that day. :) Daphne always looks so cute when we see her, and you can definitely tell she's a girl. I remember when Jacoby first pulled up in his crib and Tyler had just barely lowered it and I didn't think he needed to yet, but I'm so glad he did.
Hey, Steph and I were wondering if you remember what tip they use on the cupcakes at Cocoa Bean. We're really into cupcake making right now. Thanks!
I'm still laughing about that story.

Hilary said...

just pierce her ears. JUST KIDDING!

ok, there's this girl in my ward who has like a 2 month old baby girl with TONS of hair and she looks weird...you know since her head looks so little with all that big-kid hair.

anyway, Daph is cute.

Cody,Kendra,Kendall,Osker said...

haha isn't it crazy how that happens. Kendall can be head to toe in blue and still get called a girl. Or people will ask if he is a boy or girl. There is no question that daphne looks like a girl haha

Shayne said...

I love how you dress her! Sooo cute! Where do you find all of her clothes?! She's hip! :)

Missy said...

Thanks Kirsten, I'm going to have to look for a big fat tip somewhere. It would be really fun to get together and have you help us sometime. Thanks.

Sarah said...

Well everyone calls Nate a girl so maybe it's in the genes.

Julie K said...

People are stupid. Stupid people. I can't wait to see you guys! Hurry up!!