Wednesday, March 4, 2009

happy birthday to YOU!


Well, as long as you are my sister, JulieK.

I only have one "real" sister but I must say- I have 4 older and 2 younger sister in laws and I love them all. But, you might understand the bond we have if you too have a sister/mom. Here is a story about my sister: When i was about 5 Julie asked me to be her model. Her friend April had just gotten a life size doll and it was my same size. For Christmas, Julie was going to make clothes for April's doll as a gift. Everyday she would measure {may-sure, that's how our mom says it} me and fit the clothes to me. I really loved getting all this attention from her. Then, on Christmas morning I opened up my presents to find that she had completely made up this doll of April's and had instead been making me dresses that would fit me perfectly. Isn't that so sweet? Julie is a tid bit older than me. Just 13 little years. She was pretty excited when I was born because basically, I was just a cute little doll for her to play with. I pretty much became hers and I am totally OK with that. Sometimes when we are talking she will take on her mom roll with me and give me lame, safe advise about eating my vegetables or table manners. But then, she'll switch gears and talk to me like a sister. I have a sister/mom and I love her so much. Here are a few reasons why:
+we pluck gray hairs together. Yes, i am 24.5 and i have gray hairs- i've had them for years. i am a worrier, which may have something to do with it but if you've seen my mom, i think its safe to say its a bit genetic too. Julie is "passed the plucking stage" but we used to love to pluck each other's gray hair- our husbands always get bored and give up but we push on. She is a fighter.


+we keep each other in line. I help her with clothes, she helps me with exercise/dieting. Ok, she doesn't "help" me really- if i took her advise, she would be helping me. Right now I just listen.


+she is a great mom. Mother of 5. Yeah, 5- that is pretty rare in 2009. She has twins which catapultes her into super-mom range. She has changed more diapers, wiped more... noses...., watched more sponge bob, cleaned up more puke, laughed behind more kid's backs (you have to right?) helped with more homework, driven more miles to gymnastics, said more family prayers, made more trips to the ER, paid more bills, shopped for more groceries, taught more lessons, sat through more hours of church in the hallway, shampooed more heads, made more halloween costumes, wrapped more christmas presents, bought more kid's clothes and cleaned up FAR more messes than i EVER will. I am sure of it. I just am not the type (i am not that good of a person) to raise so many little ones. And, as it turns out, her kids are awesome. Some of my favorites in the whole world. She loves being their mom, it is all she has ever wanted and I am sure they know that. She is just really awesome.


+she picked an awesome spouse. I love my brother in law Pie a lot. He is a great man, a great dad and I loved him being a part of our family for the past 15 years- it just wouldn't be the same without him.


+she is skinny and pretty.


+she blogs, like crazy. read her stuff, julie konchar and konchar family, its so good.


+we both still get acne. isn't that awesome? I bet you are jealous that we have gray hair and zits at the same time- well, at least we get each other.


+she can sew really well. she was going to make my wedding dress or at least a part of it but time didn't allow (we did get married in just 6 weeks!) but she is very talented.

+she knows exactly who she is. She never tries to be anyone but her- she knows her limitations and her strengths. She is Julie.

+she is opinionated. Sometimes, like when i'm already in a bad mood, this drives me a bit batty. she will always tell you what she thinks- it doesn't really matter if you want to hear it or not.


+she is a really good "mother in zion" example to me. her kids have tons (like 30 or 50 or something) scriptures memorized and before they leave the house they have family prayer and pick a scripture to recite. then they all hug each other. we didn't grow up doing anything like this, not at all, so i find that especially impressive. she always has family home evening, i know if i call her monday night she won't answer and i really love that about her.


ok, i really have to go pack for our trip but i could list many more things i love about Julie. She is the best sister I could ever ask for...

Tomorrow is her birthday and we couldn't be there :(

but we will be, soon.

3 comments:

Julie K said...

Ack! You didn't mention how we are both blubberers....and that little post caused a bit of blubbering. I love being your sister/mom. I love that you are a mom now too--don't you think it makes the 13 year gap even smaller? When I realized that you gave birth to Daphne exactly 13 years after I popped Sid out--practically to the day--I thought that was just about the most special thing ever. I'm glad you think I teach you stuff because I feel like I am always learning from you. I may be the older and "wiser" sister (just mention a problem and I'll have advice for you) but you are the cooler and more talented younger sister. So I guess we're even. I love Nic too (haven't we been luckier than we deserve in the spouse department?) and Daphne? I feel like Aunt Grandma. I just love her so much. I wish you could be here tomorrow, but when you do get here we are gonna have some fun. And I promise not to give any advice regarding vegetables that you don't totally ask for. Thanks for the sweet post--I love you too.

Adrienne said...

I feel like I'm listening in on a private conversation I have no part of!! Let me just say a) Julie isn't the only one blubbering and b) I adore you both. Is it okay to think you guys are amazing friend/cousins? Because you are. That was so awesome, Kirsten.

Ashley said...

well aren't you guys just the cutest.

also, you are both in my top 5 funniest girls i have ever known in my life (julie was ranked based on her blogging, which i can't get enough of.)

xo