Sunday, September 21, 2008

the baby and birthday and catching up

oh blogging... I've missed you so. Nic and I had no idea (Nic REALLY had no idea because i signed him up for all of his classes...) how much work we would be doing taking 3 studio art classes each. our house turns into a chaotic studio most of the week and it just seems pointless to clean up the paper, mattes, paint and pencils so I rarely do. but, we are LOVING school. I think this is both of our favorite semesters thus far in our education. We have 3 classes together- graphic design, design/color and doctrines of the gospel which we take one night a week with the Alexanders! So, everyday we have class together and that is awesome. In addition, Nic is taking drawing (he is really good :) and Book of Mormon. I am taking advanced visual media (i am creating a website which is completely new to me and scary) and public speaking (not new, or scary but my teacher is INSANE!) Fridays are our easy days- we just go to a graphic design lecture for an hour at 10:15 and that's it! Besides that, i feel like we are at school or working on homework for all remaining hours in the week. I should be working still but I just had to write about a blog about my bitchin birthday yesterday!

Nic planned an awesome day and gave me my presents days in advance, just the way I like it. He got me this awesome drawing pad that links to the design program we use so we can draw with this special "pen" and it will appear on the screen. it is really awesome but i suck at it so far- i am working on it though :)





he also got me this hat on etsy that i have been eying FOREVER! it is so cute and i love it. I would take a picture of me wearing it if only I wanted to- and if i had showered today.

yesterday we had a great time together. in the morning we did homework and ate lunch at frontier pies! then in the afternoon we went to Idaho Falls and went go-kart racing (i really hate spelling things that are supposed to have a "c" with a "k") which was really fun. We did it for our last date before Nic left on his mission 4 years ago and i sucked WAY bad. Yesterday i still finished last, but the other guys (including Nic) only lapped me once which is much better. I attribute this moderate success to birthday powers. Then we went Daphne shopping! This was a special treat because Nic doesn't really LOVE shopping for Daphne but I think all the cute stuff we got yesterday might have changed his mind.

here is all her loot (some of which we got on different days) and the ADORABLE mary-jane socks are part of a set of 6 socks that Kim gave us. We love them and know that if Daphne could speak, she would agree. Thanks Kim!!!










You may notice that we bought her boys pajamas. But, you might also notice that we love robots and it is hard to find girl robot clothes. Plus, we just really loved these pajamas. It is so hard (nearly impossible) to find baby clothes we like. We are trying not to go TOO girly with tons of light pink and the such but that is really hard. Also, we are having a hard time finding clothes with cute designs that don't say: apple of mommy's eye! rockstar! adorable! too cute for you! ECT ECT ECT. Though we already know Daphne is an adorable rockstar, we don't want to advertise it at this level. It's tricky but still really fun. A lot more fun than shopping for clothes for me which we also attempted yesterday. I am a whale.


Then, we went to a super nice dinner at Jakers. We both have tons of leftovers for lunch today which I am thrilled about! Then we went shopping some more and found a few more things including an awesome diaper bag (that is not at all a diaper bag, but thats how we'll use it) which I failed to photograph but will make a whole blog of someday because it is that rad. then we went to baskin and robbins for some MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP (michael scott) and then to see: Ghost town with ricky gervais. It was SOOOOOOOOOOO good. we loved it.

I have the best husband for planning such a great day to celebrate my 24 years. Thanks Nic, I love you.

12 comments:

Brooks and Heather Lively said...

Maybe more than I actually LOVE Daphne's loot, I love that you called it Daphne's loot. I am again going to tell you how jealous I am that you A. know the gender B. have a bump and C. that its a GIRL!!!!

Steph said...

wow! You had a fun, busy birthday! I can't wait to see you in that dang cute hat! And I love all your baby finds! I LOVE shopping for babies! It's the best. It also sounds like you have some pretty amazing classes this semester. Great that you can go to them together.

Melissa and Douglas said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I am so happy to hear that you are taking public speaking again! Do you remember when we took that class together? Do you remember when we did that lip sync and made up that dance. wow, I hated that class, but you were really in your element. Have fun the second time around. And if you have to do a lip sync again I give you permission to do "You Ain't Nothin' But a Houndog" Without me.

Julie K said...

Yes, shopping for the wee one can be fun, but I know what you mean about all that pink. Luckily for us, pink turned out to be a rather flattering color for Josie. But if she could talk then, I'm sure she would have asked for camo. Tommy will be jealous of those pajamas. He LOVES robots! I love them too.
Glad you had a rad birthday.

the binghams. said...

julie, its nic, while shopping we saw this little girls set of pink camo, its funny you mention it. it was nike and all pink everything camo

Megan said...

yeah! Happy Birthday!

Hilary said...

Fun stuff!

Another thing we have in common: when i'm having a girl, i'll probably try to find things that aren't all pink and super girly too! I love that you got those robot pajamas!

Jaquilyn Shumate said...

You have done well! I love the baby clothes! I bet it's so hard to find good ones. I am afraid when my time has come I will just inherit a bunch of pink "cutsie" stuff. BLAH! Oh well, I guess we can't be too picky when it's for free... Right? I hope you had a great birthday, btw! love ya!

Emily said...

What a crap friend I am? I guess i have an excuse... wedding in 12 DAYS!!! I totally spaced on you birthday. SOOOO SORRY!! I love you and hope you don't hate me. I hope you were just busy with school when I sent my apology text! See you super soon!!! PS love your Daphne clothes!!!

Ashley Thalman said...

are baby clothes not the coolest!!!?

Sara said...

Kirsten, It's (Joe's) Sara. I must say that those mary jane socks are the coolest thing I've ever seen. As a mother of two girls, I have never owned anything so awesome. Also, I read your blog. And I have since the family party. Shoot me an email (sarasoelberg@yahoo.com), and you can read mine. If you want. It's kinda boring. And my girls are most certainly not sporting those socks.

Congrats on little Daphne. She's going to be stylin!

Jenn and Tyler said...

Well first of all happy birthday Kirsten, the hat is rockin' hot. Secondly, didn't know you were blogging until tonight, so email me at tylershaw@creighton.edu and I'll reply with an invite to our blog.
I'm so glad you're having so much fun getting ready for a baby, you're going to love it! The clothes are very cute... even the robot jammies which is kind of weird but that's cool! Glad you're enjoying your semester you two! How fun to have class together every day! Hope to hear from you soon!